Our Mission, Vision, and 8 Keys of Excellence
Quality Education for Life
Through rigorous academic standards, high expectations, and a coordinated curriculum, Coronado Middle School and the Coronado Unified School District, in partnership with our small, involved community, will graduate students with the knowledge and skills necessary to excel in higher education, careers, society, and life with the confidence not only to dream, but to determine their futures.
“We inspire, innovate, and create limitless opportunities to thrive.”
CMS Vision for Student-Centered Learning
CMS strives to create a culture of invested and empowered learners who recognize and respect personal learning approaches.
Coronado Middle School prepares all students to be:
- Seek, interpret, and evaluate evidence to support and defend arguments
- Read, write, listen, and speak to effectively communicate ideas with real, authentic audiences
- Apply a variety of tools and media to publish their best, original work
- Continue to seek learning opportunities outside the walls of the classroom as 21st century learners
- Apply learning to real world connections
- Analyze and explain academic concepts
- Critically assess and problem solve
- Ask questions and take risks to deepen understanding of content
COMMUNITY TEAMmates who:
- Solve problems using multiple solutions and innovative approaches.
- Collaborate and cooperate with diverse learning teams on shared goals
- Foster integrity and respect so that all individuals may thrive
- Listen and communicate to provide kind, specific, and constructive feedback
- Motivate each other to persevere and develop growth mindsets
- Welcome multiple perspectives in order to learn from others
- Recognize the diverse talents of others and contribute their own to enrich the school community
- Uplift one another, show empathy and concern for fellow citizens
INVESTED LEARNERS who
- Demonstrate understanding of content
- Prioritize and manage tasks
- Reflect for continual growth by monitoring progress, determining when to adjust strategies or when to seek more resources for mastery of challenging concepts
- Embrace personal learning styles, strengths, and needs
- View mistakes as opportunities for growth
- Build confidence and independence to take risks when approaching new learning
- Develop a passion for lifelong learning.
The 8 Keys of Excellence
Principles are the rules that guide human behavior. Concepts like fairness, integrity, and truth are generally accepted and shared by all people. They are not tied to time or culture or history—they are objective, not subjective.
Principles define the culture of any group—family, school, club, team. They lay the groundwork for personal excellence and align groups on agreed behavior. People who are aware of their shared principles and uphold them know what to expect from one another. They experience a higher level of trust, more teamwork, and ultimately, greater success.
If you have ever belonged to a group that shared your principles, you may have noticed the feeling of teamwork, the spirit of the group, and the way all members pull together to achieve a common goal. In such a culture, excellence thrives and success is a natural outcome.
As principles, the 8 Keys of Excellence do more than create a more positive environment—they change lives. Becoming aware of these eight principles and committing to them is both exciting and challenging, pushing us to strive for excellence and positively impacting the world we live in. For as we learn to model our beliefs, other people in our lives are influenced by our behavior and often follow the examples we set. Like falling dominoes, the process continues, each person affecting the next.
Excellence is defined as the quality of excelling, greatness, value, worth—and when we excel we do extremely well, we shine, we stand out.
“Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.” —Aristotle
Principal's Welcome ›
Caught You Being Awesome ›
Our Mission, Vision, and 8 Keys of Excellence ›
Orientation Presentation for New Families to CMS 2021-22 ›
Academic Calendar & Bell Schedules ›
Student Handbook/Agenda ›
How Will You Hear From Us? ›
CMS Health Office ›
School Accountability Report Card (SARC) ›
Single Plan for Student Achievement (SPSA) ›
- Principal's Welcome ›
Student & Parent Portal
Sign in to Coronado Unified School District’s Student Portal to check your grades and attendance, access important resources, and more!Login to your account