Principal Update for August 2017Posted by: Karin Mellina 4 months, 3 weeks ago
Dear Triton Families,
We hope you’re having an enjoyable summer! We are pleased to offer some information regarding the upcoming 2017-2018 school year.
1. AUGUST 8: CMS Office opens
2. AUGUST 8-10: New Student Registration This is for all new students to Coronado Schools.
3. AUGUST 14-15: Registration Packet Drop Off: CMS Returning Students: This includes all returning 6-8th grade students who were enrolled in CUSD schools last year:
- August 14th Times: 8:00 a.m. - 12 noon and 1:00 -3:00 p.m. Last Name A-K
- August 15th Times: 8:00 a.m. - 12 noon and 1:00 -3:00 p.m. Last Name L-Z
School pictures will be taken on these two days, so please dress accordingly.
- AUGUST 22: District New Family Night: Tuesday, August 22rd 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm at CMS, Granzer Hall. Join your new friends and neighbors for a family-friendly event intended to welcome you to the Coronado Unified School District, brief you on the information you need to know, and provide access to the resources that are here to support you. Please join us in welcoming you to our community!
- AUGUST 23: Schedule Pick-Up for all new and returning students to CMS:
- 8th grade schedule pick-up – 8:45 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.
- 7th grade schedule pick-up – 9:30 – 10:15 a.m.
- 6th grade and all new students to the district – 10:15 a.m. -11:00 a.m.
- AUGUST 23: 11:00 a.m.-11:45 p.m. Granzer Hall Orientation for Students and Families New to Coronado:
Our school counselors and administration will present helpful information about our instructional program and many other details that will answer most of your questions about starting school at CMS. This program is designed for families who are new to school and may have missed the orientation last spring. Following the program, you are encouraged to participate in the classroom walk-through mentioned below.
- AUGUST 23: 11:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. School and classroom walkthrough for all new and returning students:
- Walk-Through – 11:45 a.m.- 12:30 p.m. All teachers will open their classrooms to enable new and returning students to visit their rooms and meet their teachers in an informal setting before the first day of school. You are invited to visit any time between 11:45 and 12:30 p.m. There will be no formal presentation during the visitation.
- AUGUST 24: 7:58 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. First Day of School:
- AUGUST 30: 5:15 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Back To School Night:
During this program, parents will follow their child’s schedule from period one through seven. The evening will begin at 5:15 p.m. with a televised broadcast from our KCMS studio to all first period classrooms. During the evening, teachers will make presentations on their course content and academic and citizenship expectations. Space and time limitations require us to ask that students NOT attend the Back-to-School Night activity. Plan to be in your student’s first period classroom promptly at 5:15 p.m.
- “DRESS FOR SUCCESS”: CMS DRESS CODE: The difference between school/work clothes and non-school/work clothes:
We would like to remind our students and parents of the appropriate dress attire for school The dress code is very important for our students to ensure a clean, safe, and proper learning environment. Understandably, television and movie trends do influence fashion and certain styles, but some of these styles are inappropriate for school. Please refer to CMS Dress Code policy below, specifically the notation about shorts and skirts and the length requirement. This information can also be found in the CMS Handbook and on our webpage.
- All male and female headgear is prohibited: hats, hoods, beanies, caps, bandanas, scarves.
- Hats are permitted for sun protection only and can be worn during outdoor lunch, break and PE. Parent or doctor’s note is required.
- Bare midriffs or exposed skin at the waist, sides, and mid to lower back
- Tube tops, strapless, spaghetti straps, low necklines, see-through, backless or revealing tops and shirts
- Shirts must have at least 1 inch straps
- Pajamas, undergarments showing/exposed This includes exposed bra straps
- Excessively short skirts, shorts or dresses
- Skirts and shorts must provide adequate coverage while standing and sitting
- Excessively sagging pants
- Sunglasses, face-painting
- Jewelry with spikes, wallets with chains, or anything which could be used to hurt others
- Wearing or carrying anything that is gang-related, promotes violence, hatred, gang activity, alcohol, tobacco, drugs, sex or profanity
Again, welcome to our school, and as always, we appreciate your support and cooperation in creating the best learning environment possible for all children at CMS! We look forward to working with you to make this school year a meaningful and memorable educational experience for your child.
Karin Mellina, M. Ed.
Share on Twitter Share on Facebook